Friday, October 23, 2009

Lehi's dream

I know I'm reading in 2 Nephi these days, but as I was reading in the scripture stories with the kids tonight, I was struck with something from Lehi's dream I had never thought about before, so I went back and read it:

5 And it came to pass that I saw a man, and he was dressed in a white robe; and he came and stood before me.
6 And it came to pass that he spake unto me, and bade me follow him.
7 And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
8 And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.

It really touched me that Lehi travelled in darknes for many hours before the Lord helped him. To me this represents that we all go through trials and actually struggle with them before Heavenly Father gives us an answer. Its a search, a labor for the truth. Sure Heavenly Father could just hand us the answer right away, but we all know what happens with children who get everything handed to them. Do they really appreciate it? Do they really learn? And the purpose for our being here on earth is precisely for learning and growth. Sometimes I just wishing the lessons weren't so hard. :/
But I am sure glad to have company in trial, struggle and learning. :)

1 comment:

  1. And sometimes it just takes us that long to realize that we need to turn to the Lord and rely on Him rather than our own understanding. That's certainly a lesson that I have to learn over and over again. Heavenly Father's patience amazes me.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Here we go again. Starting up my scripture study blog again, in 2016! So excited to put my thoughts and insights down.