Monday, March 29, 2010

My favorite Book


Even though I haven't posted in a long time, I really have been reading the Book of Mormon. I actually just finished. :) Well, sort of. I started in Alma this last time and I just finished Mosiah so I'm starting in Alma again. I love Alma... definitely my favorite book.
I also thought I would add an illustration to spice things up a bit. What do you think about this interpretation of Nehor by James E Fullmer?
Some of the things I liked about Alma 1...
The shock of Gideon dying. When Nehor "smote" him with the sword, he died because he was so old. He really must have been pretty old... I mean, this was like 54 years after he had been King Limhi's advisor. He had helped King Limhi figure out that the Lamanite daughters that had been captured weren't captured by Limhi's people, but by the wicked priests of King Noah. You know, wicked King Noah, Limhi's father, who had escaped with King Noah and then killed him. Nehor must have been at least in his 20's or 30's to be an advisor to the king, and if so he would have been in his late 70's even up to 90 years old when he stood up to Nehor. What a stalwart warrior. Especially since Nehor was a "a man who was large, and was noted for his much strength (v 2)." I don't think Gideon much cared... he was a bold witness of truth, even unto death.

I also loved how Alma observed that "there were many who loved the vain things of the world (v 16)," these being the people who perpetuated Nehor's legacy of false teachings, for the sake of money and being "popular." In contrast, here is what he says about the saints:

25 Now this was a great trial to those that did stand fast in the faith; nevertheless, they were steadfast and immovable in keeping the commandments of God, and they bore with patience the persecution which was heaped upon them.
26 And when the priests left their labor to impart the word of God unto the people, the people also left their labors to hear the word of God. And when the priest had imparted unto them the word of God they all returned again diligently unto their labors; and the priest, not esteeming himself above his hearers, for the preacher was no better than the hearer, neither was the teacher any better than the learner; and thus they were all equal, and they did all labor, every man according to his strength.
27 And they did impart of their substance, every man according to that which he had, to the poor, and the needy, and the sick, and the afflicted; and they did not wear costly apparel, yet they were neat and comely.
28 And thus they did establish the affairs of the church; and thus they began to have continual peace again, notwithstanding all their persecutions.

I love how they "bore with patience the persecution which was heaped upon them." Note the term heaped... not just, oh they were given trials and they got through them... no, they were heaped upon them (heap- to give, assign, or bestow in great quantity; to load, supply, or fill abundantly). They didn't get angry and fight back (well most of them anyway), they didn't complain to the Lord or their good friends, they didn't stay at home and cry and feel sorry for themselves. They were patient. They still worked hard. They imparted their substance to the needy... they had compassion. And then, the results:

29 And now, because of the steadiness of the church they began to be exceedingly rich, having abundance of all things whatsoever they stood in need—an abundance of flocks and herds, and fatlings of every kind, and also abundance of grain, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious things, and abundance of silk and fine-twined linen, and all manner of good homely cloth.

They were blessed. Who knows how long they had to bear their burdens before they were blessed, but they were. Not only with earthly riches, but with peace, even continual peace (v 28).

2 comments:

  1. The interpretation of Nehor by James E Fullmer makes him look very contemporary. He did a good job of capturing his sinister demeanor.
    I'll take the continual peace over earthly riches any day. When you think about it, continual peace is a form of wealth that brings gratitude that brings charity that could bring earthly riches for the express purpose of blessing the lives of others. Is there any other way earthly riches can bring continual peace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be blessed with continual peace . . . what a wonderful promise.
    I think about how much more I can achieve in my days when I am at peace - when I don't allow the frustrations and trials of life to get me down - when I strive to be more understanding & more compassionate, and when I "impart of my substance."
    I also love the line, "They were steady and immovable in keeping the commandments of God." I hope I will have that strength of faith to do the same as I face trials in my life.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Here we go again. Starting up my scripture study blog again, in 2016! So excited to put my thoughts and insights down.