Tuesday, August 4, 2009

1 Nephi 20- huh?

Okay, now we get to Isaiah... I have a hard time with Isaiah. Who doesn't? But some people actually get it, believe it or not. I know somewhere in the B of M it talks about how Isaiah and Revelations were originally simple to understand, and then the plain and precious parts were taken away. And apparently Nephi read Isaiah and really got something out of it, because he is quoting it in this chapter. But my question is this:

Why are the quoted chapters of Isaiah exactly the same in the Book of Mormon as the Old Testament? If they were once plain and precious, wouldn't Nephi's also plain and precious? Are they exactly the same because the LDS version of the bible used the quoted versions from the Book of Mormon? Maybe this is the more plain and precious version! I have always wondered about that. Does anybody know??

Anyhow, in reading this chapter, I realized my mistake in trying to understand each individual expression of Isaiah. I now know I have to try to just get the gist of what Isaiah (and really the Lord) is trying to tell us. I think the basic summary is that the Lord is very disappointed with Israel. That although he has given them many revelations and blessings, they are very stubborn and slow to recognize His hand, but quick to think "mine idol hath done [these great works]," or "behold I [already] knew them (the Lord's teachings)." Which sounds a lot like a few certain older brothers I know. I guess they really did fit in in Jerusalem. But I think Nephi quotes this chapter to support what he was saying in 1 Nephi 17 about how hard hearted the Israelites were even after the Lord led them out of the promised land. And how he doesn't want his people to end up like the Israelites.

My favorite verse is v 18. "O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments—then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea."

How simple and beautiful is that? And doesn't that sound just like Lehi, and his pleadings to his sons? If we just listen, if we just try, we will save ourselves so much grief! We will have overwhelming peace and comfort, even amidst our trials. But we make things so hard for ourselves. Laman and Lemuel made life so difficult and dreary, when all they had to do was ask the Lord and remember. Not really too difficult, but they just wouldn't. How many times are we like that? Refusing to ask the Lord when He is so willing to give us anwers and the help we need. Its kind of like how the Israelites wouldn't look at the serpent to be saved because it was too simple. Is reading scriptures everyday, praying every day, and having FHE once a week really that hard? Then why do I have such a hard time sticking with it sometimes?! I really think its because it is so simple, and sometimes we want to do profound things that we feel will make a huge difference, and we forget how much impact the simple things have. They don't feel so important at the time, but they really mean a lot.
I've gotta keep telling myself that so I will do them!! Especially the next FHE when the kids are all screaming, not paying attention and I am ready to give up and go shoot myself. ;) Its the little things that count!

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of the name of one of your cousins' websites: http://benstephfam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Here we go again. Starting up my scripture study blog again, in 2016! So excited to put my thoughts and insights down.