Friday, August 21, 2009

Something New- 2 Nephi 5

So I learned in this chapter that Nephi really did have sisters. I remember in the Living Scriptures cartoon there is a little girl, but I didn't know if she was just historical fiction... I guess not (v 6).

My favorite verse in this chapter is v 27... "And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness."

That verse says so much and makes me wonder so much at the same time. It comments on how important happiness is to Nephi. It illustrates the fact that Nephi chooses to be happy even through all that he has experienced. He never appears to wallow in self pity even with how his brothers treated him, how hard things were in the wilderness, and despite the fact that the Lamanites are already bringing war on his people.

But it also raises the question, what does happiness mean to Nephi and his people? What brings their happiness? It is interesting that right after he talks about the Lamanites being a scourge to his people to stir them up unto remembrance, he says they lived after the manner of happiness. Rather humorous. Nephi really is a funny guy if you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Here we go again. Starting up my scripture study blog again, in 2016! So excited to put my thoughts and insights down.